This guide walks you through the steps to create a copy of a website in STORM. The copy feature is useful if you want to create a staging version of your live site and duplicates the files and database so you get an exact copy to work out without effecting your live site.
Are you looking for the site duplication tool and staging site tool? We have consolidated both of these features into the Copy tool giving you one simplified interface for creating copies of your sites.
You can use the tool to create a copy of your site on the same server as your live site. You can also use the feature to copy the site to another STORM server if you have multiple servers with us.
1. From the Website Dashboard click "Copy" on the right hand side of the page.
2. Click the "Configure" button, enter the domain you would like the copy of the site to load on, then finally click on "Create Copy Website"
Note: You can tick the Destination Server box if you would like to create the copy of the site on another server.
3. STORM will then start creating the new copy of the site for you. You will be presented the below screen which allows you to go to the website dashboard for the new site. If you want to stay where you are, click "Ok".
4. You can keep an eye on the progress of the site copy from the action pane in the top right of the screen:
5. Once this shows that all jobs have completed, you are done.
Follow on steps
As indicated in step 2 of this guide, STORM will not update your sites database connection string, nor will it update any URL's in your sites database.
For WordPress sites:
- You will need to change the wp-config.php file to reflect the database name, database user & database password for the new site.
- You will also need to update the URL in the wp-options table in the database to reflect the new staging URL. This can be done by accessing phpMyAdmin on the sites Databases page in STORM.
For Magento 2 sites:
- You will need to change the env.php file located in "public/app/etc/env.php" to reflect the database name, database user & database password for the new site.
- You will also need to update the URL in the core_config_data table in the database to reflect the new staging URL. This can be done by accessing phpMyAdmin on the sites Databases page in STORM.
- And lastly you will need to clear the sites cache.